Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Math Tiles

I recently introduced some new math games during choice time and they have become a big hit! (in the morning group). These games were created by Marcy Cook and when my first grade team and I went to one of her workshops a few years ago, we knew we had to have her activities and games for our classrooms. I used these a lot in my first grade classroom, but they are great and very appropriate for Kindergarten as well.

In order to play, students need tiles with the numbers 0-9 on them. There are numbered cards in each set and students need to figure out where each number belongs on each card. I check student answers and then put a star on their sheet over the number of the card they completed. They are pretty excited because when they complete a whole set (20 cards) they get a small prize for their hard work and they get to move on to a more challenging set. The sets relate to counting, number recognition, 1:1 correspondence, addition, more than, less than, and other number sense concepts. We are working hard with our new math curriculum, but these activities are a great supplement to our other math activities!


No comments:

Post a Comment