Monday, August 30, 2010

Welcome to Kindergarten!

As your child’s kindergarten teacher, I would like to introduce myself and tell you a few things about the upcoming year. My name is Katie Toppel, and this will be my sixth year of teaching. Most of my teaching experience has been in First Grade at Tualatin Elementary School, but last year I taught at an international school in Germany. I am very happy to be returning to the Tigard Tualatin School District and to have the opportunity to teach Kindergarten at Durham Elementary! As the summer comes to a close, I am busily getting the classroom ready for a room full of eager learners.

Since Kindergarten is the first of many years of formal schooling, I believe it is absolutely essential to establish an interest in learning and a positive attitude about school at this early age. I want my class to love coming to school and be proud of all that they will learn in class. This will mean a lot of focus on building friendships, active learning, teamwork and learning school routines. Your son or daughter will have success each day to build their confidence and challenges each day to ensure that they are always learning. I can promise you that you will be amazed at how far your child will come this year both socially and academically. We are going to have a lot of fun this year!

I believe that home/school communication is essential in Kindergarten. I would love to know any information you feel I should know about your child; likes and dislikes, learning style, hobbies, interests etc. By getting to know my students and what they are like both inside and outside of school, I can be sure to create a learning environment, lessons, and activities that are suited to their needs. I am looking forward to a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment